Monday 8 September 2008

Duncan and Golf

Back, from left, Peter, Ilya, and Martin. Front, Terry.  We played a round of 9 holes in Ladysmith, about 35 minutes outside of Duncan.

Duncan Road Trip  |  Tennis and golf seem to go hand in hand on this trip. In between matches on the first day, we found some time to head out to the driving range. Terry, a golf enthusiast himself, patiently instructed us on the finer points of driving the ball out to the field. Yes there is a backswing, then a swing forward, whack, and a follow through. Well, just like tennis. Almost. A racquet versus a club. 95 sq. in. versus 4 sq. in., and a ball that is about 2/5 the size of the fuzzy ball. Sure it was a frustrating to see the white dimple covered ball barely airborne and lands no further than four yards away. If my vocabulary is a little more colourful, I'm sure everyone around would have known how I felt. One time I had attempted to hit that white sucker straight out, only to find I had whacked the ball 60 degrees off target. The ball accelerated to hit the iron pole that divided the platform about 2 feet away, then ricochet upwards to hit the wooden ceiling and flunk itself 90 degrees backwards over my head. I turned back to look and was immediately horrified to see this strayed ball was now heading toward the row of golfer wannabes taking their stand on the platform. Almost instinctively I yelled 'fore'. Nobody ducked. That would be silly and would never happen at a driving range. Would it? By then the ball had already flown by these human targets like a very bad NASA space mission. I thanked my lucky star.

Alright, whose turn is it?

No comments: